The Best of My Past - Class Notes
This is a webpage that contains notes, slides and resources from our recent classes.
Session 1 - Tuesday, May 11 @ 12:00 noon
- Starter Question/Discussion - What is your spiritual heritage? What’s one thing from your spiritual heritage you especially love or appreciate?
- It’s important to consider what spiritual heritage was “handed off” to us and think through the “warts” of what that includes.
- Chris reviewed a bit of history behind the Restoration Movement.
- Click here to access Chris' slides.
- Chris shared a video clip from Dr. Rick Cherok’s online series from Ozark Christian College.
- Never give your allegience to a movement ... but always make your allegiance to Jesus Christ.
- Homework: Watch 3 videos below and consider this question, "What strengths come from each of these men and their passion for leading the church in a healthy direction?"
1) History of the Restoration Movement - Session 2: Barton W. Stone
2) History of the Restoration Movement - Session 3: Thomas Campbell
3) History of the Restoration Movement - Session 4: Alexander Campbell
Session 2 - Tuesday, May 18 @ 12:00 noon
- Chris started with discussion question: What is one of the most courageous spiritual decisions you’ve made in your life?
- The group talked for a bit about why everything in the church is so “high-stakes” ... even on little things.
- Chris led discussion re: Barton Stone, Thomas & Alexander Campbell's impact on the Restoration Movement.
- Our church is focused more on reaching out to the community and following Christ, rather than any movement. We each should have the courage to really look at our spiritual heritage and examine it carefully.
- Click here for Chris' slides.
- Homework for next week (5/25): Watch video and identify his impact - History of the Restoration Movement - Session 5: Walter Scott and Expansion
Session 3 - Tuesday, May 25 @ 12:00 noon - FINAL SESSION
- Chris opened the session by greeting everyone, and announcing that he's wrapping up the class early because of opportunities to visit family in the next few weeks. Today will be the last session.
- He then posed the following question to the group: What makes preaching effective in your mind? What standards factor in for you when evaluating preaching?
- Chris shared a clip from Session 5 from Rick Cherok's video series.
- Click here to access Chris' slides highlighting Walter Scott's impact on the Restoration Movement.
- Everyone was encouraged to view the entire series from Ozark Christian College at their convenience, but to remember that we follow Christ ... not a movement. We can examine and be thankful for the good things from our background, but always balance those kinds of things against Scripture and Christ's example.